Going Further

“Personal and small group pathways of investigation taking learning further, personalising”

(http://www.kathmurdoch.com.au/uploads/media/phasesofinquiry.pdf Murdoch, K. 2010 @ http://www.kathmurdoch.com.au)

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AND LOOK LIKE???

What information do I wish to share?
Who will be my audience?
Are all my questions answered?
Have I considered the different points of view on this topic? Have I found enough information?
How can I plan to show the connections I have made?
How do I want to show what I have learned?
What new knowledge can I construct from what I have found out?
What shall I do with the useful information I have found?
How can I record it, store it, have it ready to use?
Then how will I use that information when I present my findings? What kind of end product will I have to share with others?
How will other people benefit from my work?
So what? What next?…..

AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

So many questions but all questions that the learner could be thinking of during this stage. This is the stage when the learner takes the reins and follows their own inquiry, essentially following their own journey using the previous stages as the scaffolding Vygotsky is so famed for.

The problem is it doesn’t look like any one thing. It could be a learner going home and making a model of the moon rotating around the earth and the effects on the tide because they were talking about the cycles of the moon in class. It could be a learner who was taking part in a class inquiry about the local environment and wanted to find out what plants the school should plant in the grounds and why those plants and not others. IT’S EXHIBITION!!!!

Thomas Suarez is the reason we want our learners to ‘go further’; learners intrinsically want to explore further and Thomas is a perfect example of what happens when learners are given the support!!!

(Sticky note activity where teachers identify where they have ‘Gone Further’ with their learning’)

One thought on “Going Further

1. WOAH – thanks for putting so much together in one place …sensational resource! Great way to present as well! We are well on the way to creating a true inquiry culture at KPS 🙂